Thursday, December 9, 2010

The Curse of the Werewolf (1961)

Notes: 12/9/10
Lots and lots of backstory and characters who pretty much don't matter.
I don't think I like that I'm a third of the way through and I haven't seen Oliver Reed yet.
Oh ok so tranformation scene...could be cool...but we don't see it.
83 minutes in and we finally have a transformation scene! Nice make-up!
Leon's love interest is way too dull for him.
Pretty cool bell tower finale. I'll give it that.

Review: C-
The only Hammer horror film featuring the werewolf myth is, unfortunately, rather pointless. Most of the characters disappear or are reduced to mindless roles. All is forgiven when Oliver Reed is onscreen proving what a marvelous presence he is (Those dreamy eyes!). The make-up effects are impressive, as is the bell tower finale, but both prove to be missed opportunities thanks to a lousy screenplay.

No comments:

Post a Comment